WHAT IS DEMEROL (MEPERIDINE)?
Demerol 50 mg Sanofi Aventis is the brand name of the prescription drug meperidine.
The drug is used to treat moderate-to-severe pain, help put people to sleep before an operation, and provide pain relief after childbirth.
Demerol is classified as a Schedule II (C-II) controlled substance.
Demerol belongs to a class of pain medications called opioid analgesics, which work by binding to receptors on the surface of cells where opium normally binds, and stopping the body from sending pain signals to the brain.
Originally manufactured by Sanofi Aventis, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) first approved Demerol in 1942.
DEMEROL 50 MG SANOFI AVENTIS WARNINGS
You shouldn’t take Demerol 50 mg Sanofi Aventis if you are allergic to meperidine or any of the drug’s inactive ingredients.
Before taking Demerol, you should tell your doctor if you:
- Are 65 or older, or have been taking Demerol 50 mg Sanofi Aventis for a long period of time
- Have used a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) — such as Nardil (phenelzine), Emsam or Eldepryl (selegiline), and Parnate (tranylcypromine) — within the last 14 days
- Have decreased or insufficient breathing (respiratory depression)
Ask your doctor about Demerol if you have or have ever had:
- Kidney or liver problems
- Lung or breathing problems, including asthma or COPD
- Obstructive sleep apnea
- Underactive thyroid or underactive adrenal gland
- Stomach problems
- Recent head injury, including a blow to the head or increased pressure inside the skin
- An addiction to alcohol or drugs
- An enlarged prostate, also known as benign prostatic hypertrophy (BPH)